Monthly member meetings are held on the 3rd Thursday of each month and begin at 7pm. Emails are sent to all members prior to a monthly meeting announcing the meeting’s location- we would love to see you there! Fill out a membership form by clicking the link below and mailing it in.
Illinois Dark Skies Star Party
September 29 – October 1, 2016
Jim Edgar Panther Creek State Fish & Wildlife Area
Observer oriented – Dark skies – Great facilities – Fantastic food
1) No meeting on the 15th of this month.
2) Chatham Library Public event on Thursday the 22nd. Please arrive before sunset to set up equipment on the lawn south of the library.
3) All are invited to the Mini Conference held by the Twin City Astronomers at their observatory at Sugar Grove.on September 24th from 4:00 pm till 11:00 pm. Check their website for more information.
4) Meeting of the star party crew to stuff envelopes and handle last minute items – Sunday 1:00 at Bruce’s house (4552 Santa Clara, Springfield)
5) Illinois Dark Skies Star Party Sept. 29th through Sunday morning Oct.2. All who can help in hauling our equipment from the observatory to the star party please plan to meet at 10:00 am at the observatory.
6) October 7th Rochester Library Public event. Please arrive before sunset to set up equipment. In the event of bad weather the event will be moved to October 21st.
On the 12th anniversary of crews continuously living and working aboard the International Space Station, NASA announced a new service to help people see the orbiting laboratory when it passes overhead. “Spot the Station” will send an email or text message to those who sign up for the service a few hours before they will be able to see the space station.
The service is designed to only notify users of passes that are high enough in the sky to be easily visible over trees, buildings and other objects on the horizon. NASA’s Johnson Space Center calculates the sighting information several times a week for more than 4,600 locations worldwide. In order to sign up, visit the link below.